Tuesday

layers

as you can tell from the last several posts, we've been digging into the recipe tear outs. doesn't everyone have a huge three ring binder filled with recipes for great sounding desserts, salads, thanksgiving sides, cocktails, etc. from articles published six years ago?! well, we do, but it often gets overlooked on a day to day basis when thinking about what to quickly throw together for dinner. we are trying to make an effort to pick out just a few recipes each week to finally try, see if they're keepers and even better, to see if they're worth sharing with our readers. these amazing little treats are definitely worth sharing! each layer adds another texture and level of richness that you'll find irresistible.

Chocolate Caramel Slice
(from Bon Appetit)
makes 16-20

crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 tbs ice water
1 egg yolk

toppings:
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
6 tbs unsalted butter, diced
2 tbs dark corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 tbs Maldon sea salt

preheat oven to 350 degrees F. grease a 8 1/2-inch square metal baking pan. blend flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a food processor. add butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. add ice water and egg yolk and blend just until moist clumps form. press dough onto bottom of prepared pan evenly. pierce all over with a fork. bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. cool completely.
whisk together condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, butter melts and mixture comes to a boil. insert a candy thermometer and boil gently until caramel is thick and temperature reaches 225 degrees F. whisk constantly to prevent from burning. pour caramel evenly over cooled crust and let set 15 minutes. melt chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave at 15 second intervals, stirring occasionally. spread melted chocolate evenly over caramel layer. sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate until set, at least one hour. can be made three days ahead if covered and refrigerated. cut into bars and enjoy!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have several scrap books filled with receipes I want to make!

I love them more than new cookery books!

my little expat kitchen said...

I have so many magazine clippings with recipes that I want to try but I'm always leaving them for later. I seem to find inspiration in so many places that I tend to forget I have them.
I love the looks of these layered cookies! Caramel, biscuit, chocolate, great combination.
Magda

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Simple is best. What delicious looking layers. Books, blogs, magazines...so many recipes, so little time. So much fun.

Chocolate Shavings said...

I love the look of those layers, beautiful!

Suzanne said...

I can taste the sweet and salty mmmm....

Anonymous said...

Caramel, lately has been my weakness... and these look terrific! Love the addition of salt. And the wonderful photos!

jen said...

those look amazing!

hannah {green oats and jam} said...

how sweet and sinful these must be!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Ummm THOSE look amazing! This has been bookmarked. I can't wait to try these!!!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Betty Bake said...

mmmm I want
I want
I want

num - I wish I had some of those :)
oh well thanks for the recipe - maybe I'll try making some

:)
Betty Bake Blog

Anonymous said...

The real test - did your
nephews like them?

sarah chong said...

looks so amazing! i must save this recipe to try for later! (later as in soon)

Kaymie said...

hmm my teeth aches to bite some of those :)))

tamilyn said...

I think I tore this one out to try...

Dana said...

I've got a great big box of recipes snipped out of various publications that I plan to try. Right now, they're in another, larger, box, waiting to be unpacked, but I'll get back to them soon. The Slice looks great!

Mina B. said...

Yum, the sprinkle on top looks delightful. Nothing like a few bars to wash down the black coffee

Amelia said...

I started drooling before I even scrolled down to the recipe. Yum!

Dina said...

having a blog definitely inspires you to go through those binders and make some of those recipes. this one is right up my alley! looks great.

Emma said...

I have absolutely loads of binders full of recipe cut outs, and old cooking magazines which I love to death.

Oh and the chocolate caramel slice looks divine!

Yellow Cat Studio said...

Wow! Those look absolutely wonderful! I wish I had more time to bake!
-N

Sakorarox said...

oh wow! I need to make this! :) pretty pics btw!

Ash said...

Oh dang, Purcells! Those are gorgeous!

Emily said...

I'm guilty of being a recipe collector and hardly trying any of them, but you've inspired me! And you had me with the sea salt on these cookies - delicious!

Chili Dude said...

What a great idea!! Looks like a great sweet delight recipe. I am going to have to try this one this weekend. Going to bake these for the family.

Thanks

Chili Dude

Randy Deaver said...

This recipe indeed looks so heavenly good! Eating sweets and pastries are one of our family's favorite past times and whenever my wife has the time, she would bake pastries and cookies for us. But despite of craving for too much sweets, we still make it a point to maintain our good oral health by regularly going to our Lexington dentist's office near our home and keep our teeth nice and perfect.